Membership is based on superior academic achievement and is conferred only by invitation of your local chapter.
More information from our Chapter Advisor can be found here.
To be eligible for membership in Phi Theta Kappa, a student MUST:
1. Currently enroll at De Anza College with at least 3 letter-grade units (pass/ no pass units are not acceptable).
2. Have a minimum of 18 letter grade units already completed at De Anza College (known as the cumulative "GPA Hours"; do not use the "Earned hours", as this includes pass/ no pass units, which do not count towards your GPA). Note: coursework at another colleges including Foothill College is not applicable.
3. Have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.50.
Email notices of eligibility for membership are generally sent during the first week of every quarter except summer quarter. There is a deadline -typically the middle of the quarter- for enrolling in the organization. If you are inquiring about membership after that deadline, you will have to wait until the next quarter to receive another invitation email.
If you do not receive any notices about joining Phi Theta Kappa by the end of the second week of the quarter, please do the following:
1. Please print and fill out the membership application form. Make sure you write legibly, especially your name (which will appear on your certificate exactly the way you write it), your De Anza College assigned student ID number , your email address, [be extremely careful to distinguish between - (dash) and _ (underscore), etc.], and your phone number. Inability to read your handwriting will delay your application.
2. Bring your dues with you: either a bank check or money order -for $90.00 payable to Alpha Sigma Alpha Chapter -or cash; (previously some students' personal checks have bounced, and this can become a real problem for both the organization and the student. If you submit a personal check AND IT BOUNCES, it is a felony, and will be prosecuted if necessary by the Chapter, College, & District Attorney).
3. Also bring a copy of your unofficial De Anza transcript (you can download from the myportal)-which must show your name and student ID. Do not purchase an official transcript - the proper downloaded version will do just fine.
4. Then drop off these items at S-76g - office of Charles Klein (of the PSME Division; (
; phone number: 408 864-8213). Your paper application materials should be turned no later than the morning of October 22 of this (Fall) quarter. However, if it is turned in later, your application may not be processed in time; If you wait until the following quarter (the quarter after this one, excluding summer) then at that time you must be registered as a student at De Anza College for your application to be re-submitted (with new transcript) and processed.